Segerson
stevegov
2003-09-11 03:18:55 UTC
Hi-Does anyone know if the name Segerson is an Irish name? My grandmother
was an Egan, from County Kerry. Her mothers name was Segerson.
Thanks,
Lori
Robin Telfer
2003-09-11 07:13:50 UTC
I have listing for a George SERGENSON b.27 Apr 1693 Penrith, Cumberland,
England
R.Telfer
paul
2003-09-11 08:06:19 UTC
Post by stevegov
Hi-Does anyone know if the name Segerson is an Irish name? My grandmother
was an Egan, from County Kerry. Her mothers name was Segerson.
Thanks,
Lori
Yes, Segerson is an Irish name.

The table below shows the number of segerson households in each county in
the Primary
Valuation property survey of 1848-64.

Derry 2
Down 1
Kerry 4

SURNAME TOTAL NAME VARIATIONS
Segarson 2
Segerson 7
Seggerson 2
Segreson 4
Sigerson 7

ie: Very rare: Kerry, Ireland. Mac Siogair. A name of Norse origin.

SURNAME DICTIONARY/ SLOINNTE NA h-EIREANN
Mac Siogair Sigerson: annamh: Baile an Sceilg, Ciarraí. Tá an sloinne in
Éirinn ón 17 céad agus bhain an chlann Chiarraíoch clú liteartha amach - go
h-áirithe Dr. George Sigerson (1839-1925), eolaí agus file. Fréamh: ainm
Lochlannach Sigarr (bua + sleá).
Sigerson
Vivien Hick
2003-09-11 17:51:27 UTC
Lori
I don't think it is an Irish name. I had a look at Ardfert and Aghadoe Wills
1690-1800 and sure enough there are two Segersons.One called Christopher
Segerson of Iveragh whose will was dated 1774 and a second called Thomas of
Ballynskellix [sic] dated 1777. On neither of these is there a probate date.
Also in the Index to Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 there is aJohn
Segerson of Ballinskelligs dated 1768.
Vivien Hick
Lori
Chris Coburn
2003-09-11 19:39:48 UTC
Segerson or sometimes spelled Sigerson is found in Kerry.

Mainly in the Ballinskelligs, Caherciveen, Portmagee areas of Kerry.

Segerson, from the Norseman Sigurd, who fell at Clontarf battle.
The family were merchants at Liverpool, Bristol, Dublin, Cork, etc.,
1000-1600.
Richard Harding had a grant of Ballinskelligs abbey which he passed to Chris
Segerson of Dublin in 1615 with Kinard, Dungegan, etc.,
In 1653 Chris of Valentia Island and Richard of Ballinskelligs were
confiscated, and Thomas Heir of Chris had a lease in 1697 from Henry Petty.
There are over 50 Segerson records on www.familysearch.org
some with LDS submissions.
Check the Ancestral and Pedigree files on LDS site.
There is the Sigerson Arms in Ballinskelligs.
Guest/house/hotel
http://www.mainwc.com/dmain/donald.html

Check this site for Segerson families in 1830s.

Regards
KerryKate
***@telus.net
Chris Coburn
2003-09-11 19:53:06 UTC
Forgot to include this link to census of South Kerry area
for Segerson click below.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/census1834.html

Regards
KerryKate