ALEXANDER - County Tyrone
Jim Alexander
2004-06-17 01:28:37 UTC
I am trying to trace ancestors of my great grandfather, Robert ALEXANDER who
was born at Segully in County Tyrone (Civil Parish of Longfield East) C1834.
His parents were John ALEXANDER (occupation farmer) and Rebecca TURNER.

He migrated to Australia where he married Sarah BEATTY in the state of
Victoria in April 1857. Sarah was born at Willmount in County Tyrone (Civil
Parish of Longfield West) C1838. Sarah migrated to Australia with her
father Charles BEATTY and siblings in 1856. Robert and Sarah had 12
children, and Sarah died in 1881.

In 1882 Robert ALEXANDER married Johanna McLAREN, a 35 year-old spinster
from Dundee, Scotland, and they had 2 children. Robert ALEXANDER died at
Brighton, a suburb of Melbourne, in 1924.

Any guidance that you can provide that may help me in search for my
ALEXANDER ancestors would be gratefully appreciated. Please contact me if
you think that I can be of assistance with your research.
Dennis Ahern
2004-06-17 12:08:00 UTC
See: http://www.heritagewld.com/gene.htm
Tyrone Family Heritage Centre computerizing parish records
Provides search service for a fee
See http://tiara.ie/results.htm for customer comments

http://www.earl.org.uk/familia/services/ni/western_omagh.html
Northern Ireland (West) Libraries Family History Resources

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/ulster/index_ty.htm
Tyrone sources for genealogy

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirtyr/
County Tyrone GenWeb

http://members.aol.com/Manus/nirtyrone.html
County Tyrone Sources

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/
County Tyrone Genealogy

http://www.uhf.org.uk/tyrone_map.htm
Map of Civil Parishes for County Tyrone

http://hometown.aol.com/lawlerc/tyrone-parishes.html
Civil and Religious Parishes of County Tyrone

These, and other useful links, can be reached from the TIARA web site.

Dennis Ahern | The Irish Ancestral Research Association
Acton, Massachusetts | Dept. W, P.O. Box 619, Sudbury, MA 01776
***@world.std.com | http://tiara.ie/
Robin McClelland
2004-07-02 22:43:44 UTC
Post by Jim Alexander
[...]
Perhaps he was related to the Earls of Caledon (Caledon is a village in Co
Tyrone), whose family name is Alexander. Field Marshal Lord Alexander of
Tunis, WW2 general and subsequently Governor of Canada, was a son of the
Fourth Earl of Caledon.

Robin McClelland